Saturday, June 29, 2013

The Email

A few minutes ago, I opened an email from my puppy program manager.

In it, she formally announced the time and place of Novel's turn-in in August. Of course, two of my sisters happen to be downstairs playing heartrendingly sad and beautiful guitar music together. 

Novel's Matriculation date is officially set for August 16, 2013 at 2 o'clock at the Winter Garden Theater in Winter Garden, Florida. In reality, I've known this for over a year. (Ok, not the Winter Garden part, just the date) It's just the fact that I'm actually getting the email...now...it's already here. Novel will be heading out to college in just 7 short weeks.

As every puppy raiser knows, the question we get asked the most is "how on earth will you give him up?" Because Novel is my first puppy, I can honestly say "I don't know." I know that I am not. an overly emotional person, so I like to think that I will be able to handle Matriculation with at least some dignity, but at the same time, I know that I love Novel with all my heart and I will miss him deep down in my soul when he is gone. So who knows what will happen at turn-in. Like I've said to many people over the past 16 months: I plan on crossing that bridge when I come to it. 

But I have to say, this email, this moment, surprised me. All along, I expected to be quite depressed, and a little panicked when I got this email. But even with the sad guitar music, I don't feel depressed, or even panicked. I feel peace.

We have worked hard. 
We have done our best.
We are ready.
This is right.


Why did I include a blurry picture of me kissing a giant stuffed moose?
Eh. Just because I find it kinda fascinating.
Because it was the biggest stuffed animal I've ever seen.
And it was for sale.
In Canada.
For fifteen thousand dollars.

And because this post was getting a little too serious, and I'm not a very serious person at all

2 comments:

  1. Oh gosh. When that email came yesterday the reality really sunk in. Without going into too many details, it feels as it Dante's list of "problems" is growing daily. Within the last two months several things have popped up that we have had no problems with before. I had no idea that I would worry so much about him this close to Turn In. I just keep praying and reminding myself that whatever happens, Dante will end up where he is meant.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting how every raiser has a slightly different perspective on how to deal with "giving them up." I don't know what mine is, given that I've never done it, and that right now I'm just grateful that Knox sleeps through the night. Still though, I think about the inevitable closing of my chapter with him every day.

    The two of you definitely have worked hard and done your best. Novel will flourish in the next step in his journey thanks to the effort that you have put into him.

    Wishing you and Novel all the best,
    Thea (and Knox)

    ReplyDelete