Thursday, September 20, 2012

Puppy raisers

Ok my fellow puppy raisers, I have a quick question. Lately I have been feeling a bit unworthy to be raising this pup called Novel. Ok, a lot unworthy. You know, you just worry that you are doing a good enough job. After all, raising a service dog is a pretty big responsibility...we're talking a potentially $45,000 dog here...one that will hopefully end up being responsible for changing someone's life. Oh, yeah, no pressure. So I've kinda been in the blues about this lately...you know, wondering if I'm doing Novel justice. My question is, do you all ever feel this way? Or is it just my overly competitive self feeling like I have to over-perform? 
Just for the sake of being more interesting...
Because pictures make everything more interesting :)

6 comments:

  1. No you are not alone. I have raised 9 pups so far and every single one I find myself asking am I doing what is right for this dog. In the end i remind myself i can only do the best i can and in the end it really is up to the dog if it wants to be a service dog or not. So don't feel bad of my 9 pups 5 have not made it 1 was for health issues 1 was for issues and 3 were for behavior issues that i worked hard to break but in the end they just didn't want to work novel sounds like hes a good boy on the right path

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9 pups?! That's pretty impressive...and it sounds like you have a good track record too, with almost half of them graduating! Thanks for the comment.

      Delete
  2. I'm just a noob here, having raised only three pups. Each one very different from the last. And yeah, I worried if what I was doing was good, bad or indifferent. I stay grounded with it all by keeping in touch with the puppy program mgr and meet up with other puppy raisers on occasion.

    Although, you can follow that gut feeling too. You wouldn't be a puppy raiser if you didn't have a passion for the job, right? My guess is you're doing just fine, if not actually exceptional.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is helpful to meet up with other raisers. It's just unfortunate that there are so few of us out there! The closest one to me (whom I recruited! I'm so proud...lol) is nearly an hour away, And next to that, I think the closest one is over 2 hours away. I do find it very helpful to blog and read other raiser's blogs though.

      Delete
  3. Thanks you all :P I know it sounds silly, but that helps a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes. Especially when it comes to behavioral issues and you start to wonder if you have enough patience for this/this pup might be better off with someone who will work him through the toughest moments instead of sticking him in his crate (*guilty*) ;-) And than the "If he gets released for behavior, then its my fault, I should have been able to fix it." Yup, your thoughts sound about right. I just keep telling myself that I am doing the best that I can do and writing lots of emails to Ms. LeAnn :-)

    ReplyDelete