Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Novel Barks in Public - a Second Time!

Yes, you read that right. *insert shocked expression*

For the past few days, Novel has been behaving extremely well in public. (Not perfect, just abnormally good. And he remains his usual self at home) So much so, in fact, that I have actually wondered if he is feeling perfectly well. However, he is still eager and as happy as ever to obey commands, so I am pretty sure he's fine. He has just been acting so extremely calm lately...reminds me a lot of when he was a tiny puppy. He has been quiet, mostly un-distracted, and basically just exceptionally easy to live and work with.

This evening I had my Human Anatomy 2 final exam. This afternoon, Novel and I hit the computers in the library to study. I had Novel go "under" my chair, and immediately got to work. About half an hour later, I realized with some apprehension that Novel had not moved at all since we sat down. I actually put my foot on his chest to be sure he was still breathing! The slow, even, rise and fall of his chest assured me that he was alive, and probably fast asleep. Utterly proud of my puppy, I went back to work. A few minutes later, a woman sat down at the computer beside me, and I am pretty sure that she had no idea that there was a dog merely inches from her feet.

After working peacefully in this manner for several more minutes, there was a sudden interruption. From the dark recesses beneath my chair, a series of high pitched, whimpering "woofs" erupted into the silence that was the library:

"MMMOOPH! muph muph muph!.....MOOph muph mph"

There was immediately a general noise of books closing, chairs creaking, and people moving as every head in the library turned to look directly at me. And then silence again, as all eyes quietly searched my person for an explanation for the strange squeaking that seemed to be coming from beneath my chair.

I laughed...or rather, smiled nervously at the faces for an instant before explaining vaguely:
"sorry...he had a dream"

"Or a nightmare!" the lady beside me whispered under a stifled laugh

I grinned and reaching down, gently ruffled Novel's ears to wake him up before he repeated his serenade. Between you and me, I happen to know that Novel's dreams can be rather long...and sometimes quite realistic.

He blinked his big brown eyes sleepily at me and stretched.

"Oh hai mum. I just had the coolest dream...there was this cat, and we were playing...and......and....."

And then he went promptly back to sleep.

3 comments:

  1. Bahahaha! Cough cough. Ha! Ha! Ha! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha... I would have loved to see the looks on those people's faces! The only time my husband's CCI Hearing Dog barks is in her sleep!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My first pup Halo used to do that in class all the time!

    ReplyDelete